Browsing the "Community" Category

That Day: A 9/11 Remembrance

September 5th, 2011 | by Lagusta Yearwood

Lagusta Yearwood, a vegan chef and chocolatier, originally wrote this piece September 10, 2008. Originally posted in 2011, Post Defiance again shares this work to commemorate September 11, 2001. As we think back on that day, now more than ten years ago, it is impossible to ignore the difference of our west coast experiences of confusion and menace to that of a New Yorker, struggling with the inconceivable and immediate terror and horror of the event. When we found Lagusta Yearwood's piece, we knew we were reading something important - something to return to year after year. Her perspective, her life, her age, all resonate, heightening our compassion and sadness for all that happened on September 11, 2001, nearly 3,000 miles away

Board in the Grit: Skate or Comply

July 26th, 2011 | by Darren Brewster

Last month I was stopped literally just outside my place of residence by a security guard. Apparently, the method of transportation I was enjoying was not permitted in that area and I was asked to halt my activity immediately

Art and History Connect on the Prairie Line Trail

July 20th, 2011 | by Lisa Kinoshita

In June, urban planner Todd Bressi and the design team of Lucy Begg and Robert Gay (Thoughtbarn) held a lively series of speaking engagements in Tacoma on the public art plan for the much-vaunted Prairie Line Trail

Neighborhood Profile: McKinley/Eastside

July 20th, 2011 | by Alicia Wilkinson

Like many areas of Tacoma, the McKinley Hill/Eastside neighborhood is on the upswing after a period of urban decline in the 1960s and 70s. Today, new generations are discovering the area's charming historic houses and the neighborhood is undergoing significant revitalization

Back to Top ↑

UA-25163150-1